Some FAQs about PCs you wish you knew before you bought it!

Monday, November 10, 2008

SAN FRANCISCO - JANUARY 29: (FILES) A Comp USA...Image by Getty Images via DaylifeQ: I use Norton Utilities. I found that there are a lot of weird files in my C:\RECYCLER\NPROTECT\, filenames that ends with a period, which are "illegal" in Windows, but they are there, and they are taking up several GIGABYTES of space. I tried emptying Norton Recycler Bin but that doesn't work. What do I do now?

A:
A proven fix is a program called "DelInvFile". This program deletes file by going through UNC, so no files can hide from it. You can wipe out the entire NPROTECT subdirectory. Norton will simply recreate it. It'll take several minutes to wipe out all those small files, but in the end you'll get all those gigabytes back. Don't worry about "evaluation period" and all that.

Reblog this post [with Zemanta]